Menu Close

East Tour Diary Day 20

Breakfast from 8am and on the bus for 9.30 , complete with Mike Ferguson, heading firstly to Pointe Claire ice rink. Snow was falling on the way to the lovely three sheet ice hall which had fabulous facilities and with the dining room all set up for the meal this evening for after the match against the Central Tour. Our host told us the history of the Guests’ Cup donated in 1957 by Jock Waugh’s rink in appreciation of the hospitality received. In 1966 the Pointe Claire Club responded by presenting the Pointe Claire Cup which is competed for annually in Scotland and is open to any Scot who has visited Pointe Claire and to any Point Claire member who is in Scotland at the time of play.Coffee and pastries were provided followed by the opening of the bar. Before leaving for Whitlock Golf and Curling Club we were all presented with certificates confirming our visit to Pointe Claire Curling Club.

We were welcomed at a very snowy Whitlock by piper Ken, organiser Wayne Coverly and a broom arch. Drinks and an excellent lunch followed. Fettercairn were the bye team, although skip John Dowell was parachuted into Jura, with Fergus Shaw rested and Gavin Morton played for Tamnavulin in place of injured George Bee. The teams were piped on to the ice and once again we sang Flower of Scotland and the games were watched by over 60 of the 240 members. The ice was slow and the outside sheets were difficult to call and Tamnavulin had a bit of a nightmare losing by 16 shots. Dalmore lost by 1, Bruichladdich by 2, with the only victory of the day by Jura winning by 7 shots. Afterwards there were drinks followed by our sketch, lucky shots, I have a dream and thr tour song which were all well received. George Bee gave the vote of thanks and presented a pennant and tartan tie.

it was then back on the bus heading for the Sandman hotel in Ottowa, our home for the next four nights. Beer which had been given to us earlier in the tour were consumed on the journey as well as some spirits. After checking in we walked across the park to have a meal in Jack Astors where we were later joined by the West Tour whose arrival had been delayed by a plane cancellation. It was then back to the hotel for more drinks which for some continued in John Shea’s room after the bar closed.